Friday, May 7, 2010

The Beginning of My Street Photo Journey

It's been almost a week since I started my first street photo-journey. It was quite tough at first, since I had to go through many trials and errors. In fact, the most challenging part was when I had to shoot people on the streets. So, I often found myself standing and watching the people and the moments go by. However, when people noticed that I was holding a camera some smiled and some even asked me to take them a photograph. The people were generally kind and friendly. So I then started to have the guts to capture the various moments and events of their lives. At first I was very proud of myself and of my achievements. Unfortunately, my first shots were not really that impressive as I thought it would turn out to be. In fact, I wasn’t able to incorporate the rules of composition and almost all of the photos were just plane dull and lifeless. Therefore, I got really discouraged with my very terrible and awful photographs. However, to think of it now, this experience was just a beginning of my unforgettable photo-journey.

After my first shots I realized that photography isn’t just about capturing the things that we see around, and that it isn’t just about merely going out and taking shots. So my mistakes made me realize the importance of capturing the various emotions and lives of the people. Therefore, good photography is indeed about creating a link between us and the subject we are about to take. And like what many people say, cameras help us build intimate relationship with the things and with the people around us. So for this reason, street photography has also given me an opportunity to become an amateur photojournalist at times. :)

At the end of the day, I continuously learn how to be involved, be fascinated and be patient. However, there are also a lot of hard and tiring moments as well, but it never fails to bring fun, excitement and new learnings. I never thought that street photography would give me such a wonderful experience. And I’m glad that our group has chosen this as our project.

No comments:

Post a Comment